For a Short Distance Use 'COME'. Over Longer distances Use a Whistle
- Can start with DINNER – call ‘COME’ or WHISTLE when dog is
out of sight and reward with dinner.
- Use an enclosed garden or private field.
- 2 people needed and dog on long lead/knotted rope clipped onto
- Person 1 takes dog away and holds at distance. Person 2 whistles
(or calls name) then rewards and praise dog when it comes. Use
a HAND SIGNAL or WAVE WHITE HANDCHERCHIEF or similar.
- Allow dog (on long lead) to get engrossed then whistle/call and praise/reward
when he responds. Slight tug on lead may help at first. You can do this on your own.
- For shorter distances just use voice command ‘COME’ (can use
COME and dogs’ Name).
- Team up with other owners to practice recall.
CLICKER Training can also be used in place of voice command.
A basic, but clear, booklet can be bought with the clicker.