If your dog has hold of something in its’ mouth that it shouldn’t
have – be it your new shoe/joint of meat or small animal the
release technique is always the same and IT ALWAYS WORKS.
- DO NOT SCREAM OR SHOUT – KEEP CALM.
- DO NOT TRY TO PULL OR DRAG ANYTHING FROM THE DOGS’ MOUTH.
- PASS YOUR FOREARM UNDER THE DOGS’ WAIST (JUST IN FRONT OF THE BACK LEGS).
- USING YOUR ARM AS A LEVER LIFT THE BACK LEGS AS HIGH AS YOU CAN.
- AS THE HEAD TIPS DOWN THE DOG WILL RELEASE. PULL THE DOG AWAY BY THE COLLAR IMMEDIATELY.
Don't try to keep on training if your dog is bored or restless
- Yes, you can teach an old dog new tricks
- Any dog can be trained to some degree, regardless of experience
- It just needs LOVE, TIME and PATIENCE
- Never tell a dog 'NO' for something done earlier or out of signt. It
won't have a clue what you're on about!
A RETIRED / RESCUE GREYHOUND DOES NOT NEED TO BE 'REHABILITATED' -
IT IS MERELY MOVING ON TO A NEW STAGE IN ITS' LIFE AND NEEDS TIME
AND SUPPORT TO ADJUST. IT IS A TESTAMENT TO THE BREED THAT SO MANY
MAKE THESE CHANGES SO NATURALLY AND EFFORTLESSLY.